On 22nd December 2017, a fire broke out at TWR’s international headquarters in Cary, North Carolina. Thankfully no one was in the building at the time, and no one was hurt. First responders were on the scene within minutes and returned to the building the following day when the fire reignited.
It is not currently known how the fire started; a criminal investigation is underway.
Here is the situation:
- The building has sustained significant smoke damage.
- The loading dock, workshop areas, mail distribution, and related work areas are ruined.
- Upstairs, the Spanish group and TWR Women of Hope areas are blocked off entirely: this part of the building is structurally unsound and completely unsafe.
- It is clear that additional upgrades to security will be required.
The team have continued to work, housed in temporary quarters on the same site as the main offices, and there has been no interruption to the ministry. Some of the building has now been repainted and reclaimed for use, but around 600 square feet needs completely rebuilding, a process which is likely to take between 30 and 45 days.
The team in Cary would greatly appreciate your prayers for the following matters:
- The repairs will come at a significant financial cost. TWR International were insured, but there are deductibles (excesses) to pay and not everything came under the policy. The final cost is likely to run to tens of thousands of pounds.
- TWR does not want to miss a beat in telling the world the Good News of Jesus Christ. Please pray for stamina and endurance for the staff during what will inevitably be a difficult time. Please pray also for wisdom in decision-making as the many challenges are met over the coming weeks.
- Finally please pray for TWR’s International President Lauren Libby as he oversees the process. Please pray that the Lord will sustain him in the power of the Gospel and give him all the strength and resources he needs.
In the meantime, stand with us on the promise of Isaiah 41:10: “…Do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”
The repair work underway, with the smoke damage clearly visible.
Lauren Libby at the site on 23 December (still from video report).